Thursday, November 08, 2007

Let the masses weigh in!

As predicted, here is a blog about baby’s. Ours to be specific.

From time to time I learn a little Japanese. Little is really an overstatement. I probably pick up about 1 word a month. These words range from practical to silly. Everything from “thank you” to “that was totally delicious”. (In case you couldn’t figure it out “thank you” was the practical, and “that was totally delicious” was on the line of being silly—but still practical really.) Well, about 3-4 years ago I learned the word “shamoji” which means rice paddle. This wonderful little instrument is what we use to collect rice out of our rice cooker. It is a very useful tool that we would be lost without. Somehow it is specially engineered to prevent the rice from sticking to the paddle, something that amazes me to this day. Anyway, the word “shamoji” has a particular ring to it wouldn’t you say? I would and did. Just say it in your head a few times as your are reading this: “shamoji, shamoji, shamoji”. Oh yeah, a great word. In fact I clearly remember saying when I learned it: “hey, that would make a great name for our first child”. Now, before you claim this as slipping into the silly column, let me explain.

“SHA-MO-JI”. There, now you understand right??? Right!!!

I’ve been trying to explain this to Jori since she found out she was pregnant to no avail. “What would we do when we visit Japan??? I can’t tell people our child is Shamoji”. After a couple of hours of obstinately pleading my case as above, “SHA-MO-JI”, she eventually relented...sort of. The agreement was/is that we could call our child “Shamoji” until he/she is born at which point a “real” name would be given. I took this as a decent compromise for the time being counting on time to allow for “Shamoji” to grow on Jori.

My plan took a turn for the better the other day. By chance, for our Halloween party at youth group, a bunch of we leaders were dressing in green and going as gang-green (get it—sort of like gangrene). Anyway, Jori wrote the Japanese character for green on my arm as a makeshift tatoo. Fortuitously, someone who was watching asked Jori what it said.

“Midori” she replied.

“Whaaaaaaaat????” I said very excitedly. “Like the Japanese violinist???”

“Yes” she said

“How come a famous Japanese violinist can be called ‘green’ and our child can’t be called ‘rice paddle’”??? I asked incredulously.

I had her cornered. Lined up in the cross hairs. She replied with a somewhat lame retort of “it’s sort of like naming a girl April”.

I still think it is a great name. It’s a character building name. It’s unique (do you know any shamoji’s???). It even provides for some nice alliteration “Shamoji Sharda”.

Jori’s lab mates are doing a terrific job of using the name with great frequency and enthusiasm. In fact, in her lab you could say that Shamoji is developing character already. So, now I need your help faithful and well respected blog readers. What do you think of Shamoji??? It’s a great name isn’t it.

10 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey brother, you always make me smile! Shamoji, cute but I'm with Jori! I hope the little one has your sense of humer (I think!).

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dudebewhaq,

First, I heartily agree that Shamoji is an awesome name. It has an exotic, yet down-to-earth feel. If you use that name you will definitely raise the bar.

I don't want to crush your spirit, but have you considered the possible bully-spinoffs of the name? I haven't given any thought to it (though I will) but if you're going to saddle the little one with a delightfully creative moniker, you need to spend some time thinking about the potential pain and suffering the name might give.

That's my $.02

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Jori that rice paddle is not the best name for your babay. However, as a middle name, it could work quite splendidly. It will give your child endless conversation with people for the rest of their life.

- G

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger sharda said...

Anonymous sister (Beth): I’ll accept the cute from your comment and respectfully strike the rest from memory.

Lig’s you raise two most excellent points. First—Shamoji is an awesome name. The second is this, that highest priority in any name choosing should be given to potential bully-spinoffs. That’s all the more reason why I like Shamoji. I can’t think of any bully-spinoffs--at least none to severe. I’ll leave that in your court a bit, but if your creative juices can’t think of any then I am fully confident that they do not exist. I can’t even think of any rhymes that could be used against Shamoji. The worst that I can imagine is “Shamoji—that’s a weird name”. Again all the more reason to like Shamoji because that brings in the character building card. You actually made third great point in “delightfully creative moniker”. Well done. That was far better than $0.02.

G- A middle name eh??? Interesting thought. I like it as a back up plan that I hope not to have to visit come April. Excellent conversation as a middle name but spectacular conversation as a first name.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger David said...

There is no denying that it has a ring to it. You also want to consider your middle name choice (for initials). There is the potential for SSS, or SAS, or SPS, (those last 2 are reminiscent of statistical software, for better or worse) or many others of course (none that spring to mind that need to be avoided).
Starting as an in-utero name is a good strategy. Josiah's in-utero name is now in the running for #3.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naming the poor kid after statistical software would definitely be for the worst.
Jori

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger sharda said...

But David, you do bring up a good point. I had though of SOS already, but SPS or SAS??? Actually, with all of the acronyms in science it might be hard to avoid period. Still, it is most worthy of consideration. BTW, I’m thrilled to hear that Gretchen is back in the running.

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with those who like the name for your kid's middle name. In any case, it'll be interesting raising a kid with two white parents but with an overt Japanese cultural tint. How very modern of you. ;)

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been mulling it over for the past week, and I still have nothing as far as bully spin-offs go.

Have you put any thought into possible Shamoji-based nicknames for li'l bundle of joy? I'd imagine it'd be an easier sell if you pointed out that the munchkin could be referred to as Sammy or Mo or what have you. (Not that you would, of course, but it's a decent selling point.)

Also, don't feel you have to restrict the choices to one middle name - I think having something like SMORES for initials would be as wonderfully unique as Shamoji.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger sharda said...

Doug, that's brilliant! It's perfect!! I feel embarrassed that I didn't already think of it to be honest. That's why people blog. For valuable feedback such as this. Let's see what else might work...
SARS
SUCKERS
SPLINTERS
SNUFFALUFALGUS Let's see...Shamoji....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home